Consider the three main moments in a game:
- We have possession
- The opponent has possession
- Transition from offense to defense and from defense to offense.
When we are in Possession:
- Does everyone understand that the objective of the game is to score goals?
- Are we making it difficult for the opponent to defend?
- Do we use all the space on the field? Width as well as depth?
- Are we making the opponent chase the ball?
- Are we getting the right players in scoring situations?
- Is there proper movement when we have the ball?
- Does every player understand his or her role when we have the ball?
- Are players creating space for each other by moving in and out of space?
- Are we playing the ball deep when appropriate?
- Are we using the wide players and are we getting crosses in front of the goal?
- Are we using the goalkeeper in the build-up?
- Is our build-up too fast or too slow?
- How is the quality of the pass?
- Is there too much dribbling?
- Are we switching the field?
- Are we getting players out of the back involved in the offense?
- Are we taking advantage of 1 vs. 1 situations?
- Are the players communicating and coaching each other?
When the Opponents are in Possession:
- Are we collectively pressuring the ball immediately?
- Are we marking up?
- Are we making it difficult for the opponent to start their offense?
- Are we winning the 1 vs. 1 battles?
- Is the spacing between the players correct?
- Are we making too many fouls?
- Are we taking away opponents time and space?
- Do we have pressure and cover around the ball?
- Are we communicating and coaching each other on the field?
- Are we aggressive in winning the 1 vs. 1 battles and loose balls?
- Is our goalkeeper directing and organizing out of the back?
The Transition from Offense to Defense:
- How do we lose the ball? (Short pass, long pass, dribble, etc)
- Do the players react quickly during the transition?
- Is there immediate pressure on the ball?
- Are we organized as a team?
The Transition from Defense to Offense:
- Are we looking to go forward immediately?
- Are we looking to keep the ball in the team?
- Are we looking to slow down the play, or speed up the play?