- Playful, always moving.
- Short attention span.
- Soccer is an adventure.
- Limited ball coordination.
- Practice should be built around ‘fun’ games.
- Make sure every child has success.
Technical Development Areas of Focus 5-8 Year Olds
The main areas of focus: movement education, starting the process of learning to master the ball, and developing a love for the game.
- Fundamental Motor Skills
- Agility, Balance, and Coordination
- Introduction to mastering the soccer ball
- Individual Technical Ability
Warm up: Activities will focus on body movement that can be done with or without the ball.
Main Activities: The main activities are ball control and individual problem solving. Each session should progress to a 3v3 game to small goals.
- Example of games: Tag, Sharks & Minnows, Maze Games, move of the day
- Each session ends with 3v3 or 4v4 games to small goals.